Fill Out Your Court Forms

This section will help you prepare your claim. To prepare a claim, you need to fill out court forms that include a Plaintiff’s Claim (Form SC-100). These forms tell the court and the person or business you want to sue about your claim.

To fill out your papers:

  1. Read Information for the Plaintiff (Small Claims) (Form SC-100-INFO)
  2. Get help from your court’s small claims advisor
    Your court’s small claims advisor may be able to help you figure out whom to sue, how much to sue for, and where to sue, as well as help you fill out your court forms.
  3. Fill out your court forms
    Fill out:

    • Plaintiff’s Claim and ORDER to Go to Small Claims Court (Form SC-100).
    • If there are more than 2 plaintiffs or 1 defendant, also fill out Other Plaintiffs or Defendants (Attachment to Plaintiff’s Claim and ORDER to Go to Small Claims Court) (Form SC-100A).
    • If you need more space to describe your claim and what happened, or you need witness statements, you can use a Declaration (Form MC-030).
    • If you are a business, you may also have to fill out Fictitious Business Name (Small Claims) (Form SC-103) declaration.
  4. Fill out your court’s local forms (if any)
    Ask your local court clerk if there are local forms you have to fill out. Some courts also have forms on the court’s website.

    • Some courts ask you to fill out a local form called “Plaintiff’s Statement to the Clerk.” To get this form, you can:
      • Go to the clerk’s office of the court where you will file your claim or look on your superior court’s website; OR
      • Mail the court a letter asking for the form and enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope. Look for your court’s address on your superior court’s website.
  5. Have your forms reviewed
    You can ask a small claims advisor to review your paperwork after you filled it out. The advisor can help you make sure you filled it out properly before you move ahead with your case. You can also go to a public law library and ask a librarian for self-help books to help you fill out your forms.
  6. File your claim

Leave a Reply